Part 6: What to consider: Your Checklist for Selling Apps
Our series of posts Selling your app: A guide to a successful exit concludes with a Checklist of what to consider for each developer ready to sell their app. We’ve also put the whole series in a handy report format (stay tuned it will come out soon!) Meanwhile, here is what to consider for a succesfull exit.
Your Checklist for Selling Apps: Checklist
There are a number of things to think through before you decide on your exit route and how to proceed with your app sale. Selling apps is not entirely straightforward, but there’s plenty of insight to help you in our full report. Some of your options are dictated by your app and how successful it is, others by how much effort you’d like to put into the process.
App seller’s checklist of things to consider:
- What are you looking to sell?
- Source code or an app with users? (There are different marketplaces for Apps and Source codes)
- Do you want to sell your app across all its platforms, with all its IP, or only the app on one or more platforms? (i.e. on Fliptopia, you are required to sell all assets associated with the app IP)
- How much will you sell it for?
- What is your app realistically worth to a buyer?
- Does your app data back up the price you’re asking for the app?
- Is your app strong enough to sell to a Direct Buyer or through a broker?
- This may be the simplest and least time-consuming option – but it won’t be open to every app
- What is most important to you?
- Personal attention throughout the sale, making it simple and straightforward?
- Many different potential buyers bidding in an auction, with you managing the process?
- Are you happy or concerned about making all the data around your app publicly available?
- Some marketplaces for selling apps make all details available for review by potential buyers
- This is of course necessary for buyers to be able to make informed decisions, but can be avoided if you deal with a buyer directly
In addition, you should make sure you are ready to share the details a buyer will be looking for, including proof of user base and revenues. In that sense, selling apps is not that different from selling cars.
Below is an evaluation of what partner would work, depending on different criteria. Have a think about what’s right for you, and get to it!